Friday, March 2, 2018

Garden Friday





Welcome to Garden Friday!
The weather here has turned cold and rainy over the last few days,
but today is supposed to bright and beautiful.
The tree shown is one of dozens all abloom in our neighborhood.
I'm thinking it's a Bradford Pear tree,
which is not a desirable specimen to have on our property.
It certainly creates a dramatic display with its abundant blooms.
 

 The veggie starts are coming along.
The green beans will be ready for transplanting in another week or so.
This is the Slenderette variety that my farmer friend Lynn
down in Florida got me hooked on.
They are a bush variety and provide an ample harvest.


 Some of the lettuces are just getting started,
while some haven't even germinated yet.
All of these seeds were sown on the 11th of February.
This recent cold snap hasn't helped them any.


 The kales haven't minded the nip in the air one bit!
I'm the only one who eats kale in this house,
but I'm thinking of seeding more just because they are so easy.
They can always be shared with neighbors, after all!


 Along with getting the spring veggies started,
we've been continuing our work on the property,
tidying up "Kelsey's Woods".
Since finding so many lengthy branches,
it occurred to me that perhaps they could be of some use in the garden.
If I can, I will use them to fashion small raised beds,
or use them as edging for the flower beds
to create a naturalized look.
We like using what we have on hand.


Check this out-
C and I went to our local ReStore in town a couple of weeks ago,
where I spied a soaker hose kit for sale, brand new in the box for $14.
I debated buying it, and decided against it.
All week, it bothered me, so I ended up calling the store to see if it was still there.
Nope. Someone had picked it up.
Then C and I went to the Denver ReStore and guess what I found?
This soaker hose, although not new, suited me just fine.
The best part is that it cost only $3!
That's some good karma, baby!


 It was added to the straw bale garden.
It extends the length of the bales, twice over,
so that whatever is planted there should be mighty happy.
Some of the containers that were used in the fall garden
have been moved over here, so that I could better use the space between the bales.
Now with the soaker hose in place, they will be sure to get adequate watering.


The straw bale garden was pretty much a flop in the fall,
but I'm hoping that the spring planting will be more successful.
They require conditioning before planting,
which is mostly watering and fertilizing.
Having been in place for the last few months,
they should be fairly composted by now.
It's just a matter of following the watering schedule and then adding transplants or seed. 
I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes!


 Look at this beauty.
One of my clients has this lil' stunner growing in one of her flower beds,
and it's now naturalizing to her lawn.
It really is a sweet and delicate thing.
The problem is, we don't know what it is.


It doesn't show up here too well,
but the flowers are the palest of blues.
This would be so wonderful used as a border plant in a bed.
If you can identify this lovely bloom,
please let us know!

Are the flowers waking up where you are?
Do tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!