Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Macaflower (vegan)



Roasted veggies are a favorite of mine.
Everything from carrots to potatoes to peppers and eggplant,
roasting adds such a great flavor and sweetness to anything you might pick from the garden.


Cauliflower was roasted at 425 until tender
and I had planned to make soup with it.
Then, Sister brought me some nutritional yeast,
which is a wonderful substitute for cheese.
 After researching a bit, 
I found a recipe using what I had on hand and tweaked it.
I call it 
Macaflower.


Cauliflower Mac and "Cheese"
4 C macaroni noodles
8 oz. cauliflower (roasted)
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
1 t salt
1/2 t paprika
1/2 C nutritional yeast
1/3 C unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 T lemon juice
1 t Aminos or soy sauce
2 t Dijon mustard

Cook pasta according to package directions.
Add cooked (or roasted) cauliflower to blender,
along with remaining ingredients.
Blend until smooth.
Pour over drained noodles.
Enjoy!
(Next time I think I will add 1/2 t of cayenne,
just to give it a little kick.)


If you're expecting creamy mac-n-cheese like your grandma made,
you'll be disappointed
The nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor,
but it's not gonna be that deep, sharp taste of aged cheese.
But you know what?
It's close enough.


Leftovers didn't last long.
I'll be making this one again.

 


Homestead Blog Hop will take place every Wednesday featuring real food recipes, natural health remedies, DIY, crafts, Gardening Tips, and more...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!