Friday, May 6, 2016

New Home for the Birds



In 2011, this Florida maple was brought home
from one of the Master Gardener plant sale events.
It was probably knee-high.
It now stands over 6 feet tall.
It needed a new home,
as it was sharing space with an avocado tree that has taken off!
Bad gardener, planting 2 big trees so close to each other.
How was I to know that the lil' avocado pit I sprouted
would grow up to be a colossal tree!


Our yard faces the neighbors behind us
with no privacy whatsoever.  
In Tuesday's post, I mentioned that I wanted to add the maple here in the back bed.
With the blessing of a good rainstorm on Wednesday and cooler temperatures yesterday,
it seemed like the perfect day to tackle this project.


There's a spot in the fern bed all picked out.
I placed the shovel to mark where it should go.




The rootball wasn't too big,
so I had no trouble digging it out by myself.


I doubt the neighbors will mind the extra privacy.
(Click on photo to enlarge.)


It works for me,
and I think the birds will be happy 
to have another place to call home.
Lots of water over the next couple of weeks
should help to establish it in its new location.
Maybe we'll even be blessed with more rain.
It's spring, so everything wants to grow,
and I'm hoping it will fill in the spot rather quickly.


Now the avocado tree can get as big as it wants!
Mother Nature never ceases to astound me.

Enjoy your weekend, y'all!


Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop

FGF LogoV2










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!