Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thrifty Thursday-Tin Can Gym



We try to efficiently use what we have with regard to everything from
food to fuel to clothes and toiletries.
It's more than just making do for me,
I enjoy the challenge of thinking outside the box
to create what I need in my life,
or what can enhance my experiences.



Exercise has been a part of my life for many years.
The long lasting practices of yoga and a daily walk have helped me to sustain a healthy lifestyle.
Bike riding is a family activity that we all relish.
Recently, running has been added to some of my free time.

Having been diagnosed with osteoporosis last year,
it became clear that strength training would be necessary
in order for me to improve the health of my bones.
With no need to spend money on a gym membership,
it was easy enough to devise a workout routine for very little cost.

Enter  
The Tin Can Gym.





With the assistance of these cans from our pantry,
an exercise ball we had lying around,
and a good book from our local library,
I was able to fashion a workout program that was challenging and fun.



Now, being a thrifter and yard-saler, I know that weights can often be found for a song.
I figured, why spend even a little bit to have something else laying around that I would have to find a place for, when I can use what's right in my pantry?
Love things that do double-duty.
Other containers that would work in a pinch are:
 vinegar or water jugs filled with either water or sand,
bags of brown sugar or coffee,
jars filled with grits or oatmeal,
and
any bottled beverage (juice or water).

So these days, two to three days a week,
I participate in a 20-minute strength-training routine
that helps me feel that I'm taking part in the long-term maintenance of my health.


someday we'll have our own


Once we have our farm, the opportunity to build strength 
will be easy enough to incorporate throughout the  day.  Lifting feed sacks, moving dirt by hand, 
and the everyday activities that need to be done will lend themselves well to increasing bone mass. 
After all, I plan to be a longtime gardener and homesteader.
Maybe we'll call it The Farmstead Gym.

What's your favorite way to get fit?

This book has jump-started my strength workouts.

Thursday Favorite Things Button

This Is How We Roll Thursday Party



Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop

10 comments:

  1. Gardening is, of course, my favorite way to get exercise. But, I also hike, bike, and ski. I'd love to get a treadmill again, but that's not on the agenda at this point. I miss running on one with the music cranked full blast.
    Have a great day, Daisy
    We are at MINUS 17 right now. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Sue. Gardening is a great form of exercise. I've always wanted to learn to ski. Treadmills are another often-found yard sale item.
      Brrrr...I hope you are close to a warm fire.

      Delete
  2. Daisy, I'm with Sue. Gardening has to be the best exercise there is. It requires bending, squatting, pulling, twisting, walking, and many other muscle exercising tasks. A winter exercise that I enjoy is shoveling snow. The neighbors don't share my joy at all. Many times I'll just use a shovel instead of cranking up the snow blower. But then I'm just a crazy old coot with lots of retired time on my hands. :-)

    Have a great thrifty exercise Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, gardening has so many benefits to both body and mind. I'll bet you could make a fortune shoveling folks out! ;0D

      Delete
  3. You are incredibly resourceful and diligent, Daisy. I admire your thriftiness and innovative style. I have been a member of a *total body shred* program for the past 5 years. It part of a wellness center not far from where I live. As much as I garden I find that strength training, cardio and yoga still need to be added to my routine. They go hand in hand. I build strength for the long term taking my fitness classes. It gives me the endurance I need to garden long hours and not feel like I'm wiped out at the end of the day. It all adds up together which makes for a healthy lifestyle. Thanks for all your tips and tricks. I always enjoy them. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see you here, Meems. And glad to know that you are taking good care of yourself! You deserve it. ;0D Stay warm today!

      Delete
  4. I've been using cans too excercising with the thoughts of buying weights when garage sale season starts. Daisy, you've got me thinking with the cans I can just put them back in the pantry but with weights I will have to find a place to put them. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found something helpful here. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Amen sister to the comment that when you have your farm there will be PLENTY of opportunity for physical fitness. :) You just amaze me with your ability to find creative solutions to just about anything. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the frugalista in me! I come by it naturally, as my mom was always very thrifty. Looking forward to farm chores. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!