Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Maple Hill Hop 67



Maple Hill Hop


Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop.
This is a hop for folks who love the outdoors.
Feel free to post about anything that's going on
OUTSIDE
in your neck of the woods,
no matter the season.
(Please share only outdoor posts.)
*Please link back to Maple Hill 101.*

~~~~~~~~~~~~


Today we're sharing how we plant sugar snap peas in containers.


 The peas out of the package look like a dried version of themselves.
All that's needed is the peas, a ruler and your index finger.



 The area where we planted these is partially shaded,
but still gets plenty of sunshine during the morning hours.


The pot covers are taken off of the containers
and any stray leaves or debris is removed.
Ready for planting!


 As I'm a rookie gardener,
I still need a little guidance.
The string line pulled across the pots
helps me to do a better job of lining up the plants.
We plant two rows in each pot,
one on each side of the container.


The seeds are placed every 2 inches or so,
and we end up with 8 holes on either side of the guideline.
 This is one crop that is directly sown into the pots.


Seeds are sown 1-1 1/2 inches deep and then covered with soil.
Watering in helps them get a good start.



Given the proper conditions, the seeds germinate readily,
usually within days of planting.
In a few weeks, the plants start soaring to the top of the trellis.



These crops are grown successively,
so that there will be many weeks of harvest.
On The Hill, we call this Peaville.
Every four weeks a new crop goes in,
so that the goodies just keep on comin'.
For the most part, we are able to enjoy peas
all winter long.


Once you see the lovely white flowers,
you know you'll soon be savoring these juicy, sweet morsels. 
Of course, they can be added to stir-fries, or sauteed in butter or olive oil and seasonings.
My favorite way is to add them to my daily salad
or use them to dip into homemade hummus or dairy-free ranch dressing.



Plan on adding sugar snap peas to your next garden,
whether you use containers or grow right in the ground.
You'll be so glad you did!

Whatcha got goin' on where you are?
Let's HOP!
(Grab our button up top!)




6 comments:





  1. Daisy, thank for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I'm just learning about the HOP world. I'm still not sure exactly how it all works but I'm figuring it out.

    I am always so fascinated by the farm posts. As you can see from my blog, I'm on a path that is similar to the method that your friends have taken. It seems to be a better way to grow things. It's a little more work but the soil and nutriments can be controlled better. It only makes sense that the results will be better managed. I'm hoping for a much better year than last year in my garden. Thanks for posting about you farm experiences. It's been very inspiring for me.

    Have a great day on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on figuring out the HOP. I have a hard time with some of this stuff too. Thanks for your kind words. It means a lot to know that what I've shared has helped someone. Garden on!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for inviting me over to join in! I added you to my weekly list on my sideboard. Glad to meet you and I agree! Wish you lived closer to share starts! xxx....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to have you here! I can't wait to see your spring garden! Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  3. I am so jealous that there are seeds in the ground there. The Midwest can take its winter. I need to go south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you do it. I left there when I was 9 and still marvel at the fortitude my cousins have in dealing with winter up there. Hope spring comes to you soon at the barn!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!