Friday, February 13, 2015

No Sugar Peanut Butter Cups


Tomorrow is Valentine's Day,
so we thought we'd share a sweet treat with you.

Over the last two years,
I've significantly cut back on the amount of sugar used in recipes.
In fact, it's practically been eliminated from my diet.


What usually stands in is local honey.



Just these three ingredients make some delicious candy!




This is unsweetened chocolate, baking chocolate.
It has a rich, dark chocolate flavor.
Everyone knows how good dark chocolate is for you, right?




The chocolate was melted in the microwave in 30 minute increments,
until it was almost melted through.
It took 2 or 3 times to get it the right consistency.
Once it's mostly melted, just stir it until it's smooth.
Then add some honey to sweeten.




We buy the store brand peanut butter that is made with just peanuts.
No salt, no sugar added.  Love that.
A bit of honey was added to it and mixed well.




The melted chocolate was added to mini paper liners in a muffin pan.
Fill the cups about 1/3 of the way, then put it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Add the peanut butter mixture next, again to fill 1/3 of the liners, and freeze for another 10 minutes.
The last bit of chocolate goes on top and then the final freeze.




Here's what you get.
You don't have to use the liners, but I like the homemade look.




 Even Big K, who enjoys his brand-name peanut butter cups,
gave this the thumbs-up.
Believe it or not, it was a bit too sweet for me.
Next time, I'd decrease the amount of honey in the recipe.
We keep them in the freezer, and just thaw them out when we want a sweet treat.
You could also use almond or cashew butter for a different twist.
You can find this pinned on my Pinterest "Sweet Stuff" board.
This would be a heavenly confection to make
for any Valentine on your list.
Enjoy!

The original recipe I used can be found on the 


Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop



Gluten Free Fridays @vegetarianmamma.com Sharing glutenfree recipes for all




9 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how the more you get away from the "bad" stuff like sugar, etc, the harder it is to eat?
    I could have NEVER imagined I would get away from salt as much as I have. We just got back from a short trip and oh my, the restaurant food all tastes like they DUMPED salt on everything. Ugh!
    I'm still working on weaning off sugar but sweet chocolate treats have always been my downfall. These look like something great to have on hand for when that bug hits!
    Have a great weekend, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I rarely use salt in my cooking. I used to be a Pepsi addict. Several a day for years. Then one day after my stomach started acting up, I quit. Now I gag at the taste of any soda pop because of the loaded with sugar taste. It's the same with packaged dinners or French fries from fast food. It seems like I'm licking a salt block. People have forgotten about the delicate suttle flavor of food.

      Have a great day.

      Delete
    2. You're so right, Sue. I'm a chocolate lover too, that's why this appeals to me. Three simple ingredients and I can make it only as sweet as I like, but still get the full chocolate taste. Sucanat helped me make the transition from white sugar a bit easier. Now I use mostly honey. Glad you got away. ;0)

      Delete
  2. Daisy, nice. Peanut butter cups home made. Peanut butter cups are my favorite candy. Well, it's my only weakness in candy. Pretty much any thing to do with nuts is my snack food. I might just give this a try. It seems to be a pretty simple recipe that doesn't require heating up the stove or candy thermometers so even a kitchen candy making challenged guy like me could stand a chance of making a batch without causing too much trouble in the kitchen. :-)

    Have a great peanut butter cup making day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are so easy, Dave. I think you should make some up next time you have a snowstorm so you can enjoy them with a nice, hot cup of joe. Give it a go!

      Delete
  3. these look and sound delicious!! I am working on a sugar reduction in my life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're a label-reader, it's much easier. I look forward to your future recipes!

      Delete
  4. Wow! These look unbelievably delicious! Impressed that you made them with honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed with the taste. Very chocolatey!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!