Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 48


Maple Hill Hop

Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop
This is a hop for folks who love the outdoors.
Feel free to post about anything that's going on
OUTSIDE
in your neck of the woods.
(Please share only outdoor posts.)



Last week, we talked about the start of our fall garden.




The good news is that the beans are up.
This is the Slenderette variety,
and they are mighty tasty.




My farmer friends, Faye & Lynn had given me some lettuce seedlings,
to help me get a jump start on the goodies we're growing.




The bad news is that since we're still having oppressive heat,
most of them got burned up.
The cell packs really should have stayed on the covered patio
for another couple of weeks before planting.
So much of gardening is "in the moment",
and it takes a lot of flexibility to determine what will work in any given situation.
Live-n-learn.




We had these screens just taking up space in our garage 
after they were replaced by our solar screens.




A few paver bricks were called into service.




The rain can still get through, 
but the plants will be protected from the scorching sun.
Not being equipped with shadecloth, we make due with what we have.




The newly planted lettuce and parsley seeds 
will also be shielded from extremes in sun exposure or wind.




Barring any really rough weather,
we should be able to transplant these goodies in a couple of weeks.
Homegrown lettuce far surpasses what's for sale at the grocery.
We also broadcast some dill seed,
mostly to host caterpillars.
Eggplant and tomato starts will be left in their cell packs 
for a bit longer until temperatures simmer down.
What's going on outside where you are?
HOP ON!







9 comments:

  1. Glad to see you using old screens. They work beautifully for protecting seedlings from that harsh world.
    Still hot? Oh my. We had our first frost the 13th. I'm actually thrilled--I've reached "Burn-out" and will be so glad to get reaquainted with my house! Soup pot simmering on the stove, bread baking, flannel sheets---I just love everything about fall.
    Have a wonderful week, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a frost already. I know you're ready for cooler temps. I'm looking forward to making soup again. Ooooh, that all sounds so good to me right now! ;0D

      Delete
  2. Daisy, it's strange to think about sprouting beans and starting lettuce this time of the year. It is amazing how different parts of the country deal with gardening weather. We haven't had frost here just yet but it won't be long before old Jack visits our area. The biggest thing going on outside right now is finishing up those summer projects and major garden cleanup. My gardens got soooo out of control this year due to the excessive rain. It appears that we are heading into a wet winter which for me doesn't really matter but for my working daughter and all those other people that still work outside the home .... it matters.

    I'm starting to harvest the potatoes. Three plants netted about five pounds. They are the gnarliest looking potatoes I've ever seen. I'm not sure what caused that but they sure taste good. I have five more plants to go but will leave them in the ground until needed or frost comes. I harvested two more eggplants which will be the end of them as well. I total of three eggplants from five plants. It really was a disappointing year. Next year will be better, right? Gardeners always have anticipation that next year will be better. It's just in their nature.

    Have a great seed starting day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet been too successful with potatoes, but we will give them a try once we move. Hope you have some sun today!

      Delete
  3. I want to plant beans . . . do you think it's too late to plant bush beans here in central FL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect time to plant green beans! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your fall garden, Daisy! We are about ready to pull out the tomato plants. I do have radishes ready to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for the beans! Bummer about the lettuce but you are so resourceful!! Love the way your mind thinks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The remaining lettuce is holding its own. The screen did the trick! So nice to hear from you, friend.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!