Friday, February 14, 2014

Homemade Almond Milk




Here's one of those recipes I've been meaning to try for a while.
Almond milk is a great alternative for those of us who can't tolerate cow's milk
as well as for folks with sensitivities to soy or rice.
Almond milk is easy to make and the best part is
that you can tailor it to your family's taste.

I found this recipe here.
Of course, we tweaked it just a bit.

Homemade Almond Milk
water for soaking
1 C raw almonds
4 C water

Additional options:
sweetener to taste
(maple syrup, honey, stevia, or 4-6 medjool dates)
1 t vanilla
cinnamon or other spices


1. Allow the almonds to soak covered in water 
for up to 48 hours in the refrigerator.

2. After soaking, strain the soaked almonds and toss the soaking water.  
(It can be reused in the garden.)

 3. Place the almonds, four cups of water, and any optional add-ins in a blender or food processor 
and blend on high until the mixture becomes frothy…approximately 1-2 minutes.



4. Pour the contents of the blender through a strainer or cheesecloth and into a 1 quart glass canning jar. Squeeze to extract all the goodness of the almond meal.




5. Store the milk in the refrigerator. 
It should keep for up to 3 days.  (Ours was fine up to a week.)
Shake the jar prior to use.


 Almond milk is a wonderful addition to cereal, oatmeal,
cookie or cake recipes, or as an afternoon reward with a sweet treat.
Score one more for self sufficiency!
Enjoy!

See our rice milk recipes here:

Rice Milk I
Rice Milk II




Blog Hop Zero waste plastic free less waste sustainable




barnhopimage








10 comments:

  1. I do this too. Not too often, but I like to use it in my smoothies once in a while. My friend who drinks carton almond milk regularly tried my homemade one day and was surprised how much better it tasted than store bought. Isn't that always the way with all things homemade? ;-) I dry the almond meal in the dehydrator and freeze it to use in baking. I think most of the nutrients get strained out in the milk, but I'm not sure and I don't like to waste it. Almonds are expensive where I live. Great post! Happy Valentine's Day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try this! I thought I had to have a fancy Vitamix blender to do it, but I might give it a go in my food processor now. I wonder if you could dry out the almond meal (maybe in the oven?) and use it as flour after you strain all the milk from it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to someday have a Vitamix, but until then...

      I'm sure you could add the meal to muffins, cakes or cookies and it would enhance the flavor!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too! I think I'll make some hot chocolate this weekend!

      Delete
  4. This would be delicious with breakfast! Thanks for sharing. If you are ever looking for another link, I'd love to have you join us at Tuesday Greens on www.craftygardenmama.com. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the invite! Enjoy your milk!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, this is great! I made nut milk once before, and I heard that you can make flour from the pulp, but I didn’t know how to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!