Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Homemade Living Series-Oxygen Bleach


Welcome to the Homemade Living Series, 
featured here every other Wednesday.
  Be sure to stop over and visit with Staci and Sue today too.

Homemade Living Series

  The switch to safer, homemade cleaners was made long ago.  With Lil' Guy's allergies, it only made sense to find another way to keep the homestead spic-n-span.
About a year ago, we made the decision to stop using chlorine bleach.  
Along with being harmful to those with sensitivities,
it's not a great thing to add to the water supply.




Chlorine bleach does kill bacteria and remove stains, 
and does so in a way that is harmful to animals, plants and people. 
Due to the corrosive effects of the oxidization process, chlorine bleach will burn skin 
and cause lung, nasal passage, skin and eye damage 
as well as discolor and rust metals, certain finishes and leave ‘bleach spots’ 
on surfaces when used incorrectly.  
Oxygen bleach is just as effective as chlorine but without the  side effects.

I found this recipe for Oxygen Bleach at Chiot's Run.
Suzy is also intent on creating as many of her own cleaning products as possible.




Oxygen Bleach
1 1/2 gallon bottle
2 C hydrogen peroxide
 distilled water

Pour peroxide into bottle and fill with water.
Use 1 C per load of clothes.
It's best kept away from light,
or stored in a dark bottle.



Here are some other cleaning recipes that we utilize
to keep our home clean as a whistle!
(well, most of the time, anyway)

and, in case you're interested,
here's how we keep our home in order:









Check in with Jackie, Mary and Tammy
next week as our Series continues.



Homestead Barn Hop






Manic Mother


From The Farm Blog Hop






12 comments:

  1. I've never heard of oxygen bleach! I love the fact that it's not as harmful as bleach, but we still use bleach today. I think I'm going to be making a change soon. :) Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it advertised on tv, but had never purchased it. I like this version better.

      Delete
  2. This was really interesting. I gave up bleach a while ago (because of what it does to the septic), but I do keep some on hand for little emergencies, like when the dishwasher rebelled this summer and sprayed dirty water on the dishes for the whole cycle and then they sat on the counter for days while I cried about it. That's probably more than you needed to hear. lol I've been using house hold ammonia to clean the walls etc., but this looks promising (and less stinky!). Gotta go check your cleaning routine now. I'm always looking for ways to improve that part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ammonia is pretty powerful smelling stuff too. We are happy to share the good stuff...

      Delete
  3. Fascinating! I've never heard of oxygen bleach before. Thanks for educating me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others - fascinating! I'm so happy you posted this!! I checked out your other links that you noted. Reading your cleaning routine made me laugh - we are too much alike. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! Is this sort of in line with oxyclean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I was just wondering if I could use hydrogen peroxide in the wash. Could we add a oil for a nice scent to this mixture?
    Jeanie Cullip ~ Twin Falls Mommy
    http://www.examiner.com/motherhood-in-twin-falls/jeanie-cullip

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!