Thursday, June 6, 2013

One Simple Thing-Bottle Marker



We transitioned to homemade cleaners 
long before I caught the homesteading bug.
Lil' Guy's had allergies almost since he was born,
so it just seemed like the right way to go.
Aside from being better for our bodies,
these gentler potions do no harm to Mother Earth.
Recipes for laundry soap, liquid soap and  
glass cleaner can all be found on this blog.
 In the future, I'd like to explore making lye soap,
beeswax candles and a few other things.




Vinegar and baking soda are unbeatable for
cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting.
The only commercial cleanser I use regularly is Bon Ami.
 Mimi used it when I was growing up
and I find that it does a great job on
grout, porcelain, and stainless steel cookware.






We reuse bottles of cleansers we previously purchased
to store our homemade products.
Not only are we saving money on commercial cleaners,
but we are creating less waste.
I'll bet they could be found in recycle bins 
if you didn't have any on hand.
It's a win-win all around.
You can find our weekly cleaning routine here.





Here's one simple thing that's a cinch to do.
The bottles we use have an all-white sprayer.
Sometimes it's hard to read the words printed on them
(I'm over 50, just so you understand).

I use a red Sharpie to mark the "off" position.
That way, at a glance, I know if the sprayer is open or closed.
This would be a good idea if there are little ones about,
and you want to make sure they don't get accidentally sprayed.
Even homemade cleaners need to be used with some caution.

One Simple Thing



SchneiderPeeps - Simple Lives Thursdays Link Up



barnhopimage







HomeAcre Hop





10 comments:

  1. I want to try your recipe for glass cleaner! I've purchased some "green" glass cleaners, but they always leave streaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use newspaper to wipe it off and I never see streaks! Give it a go!

      Delete
  2. Great idea for marking the "off" side. I wish companies would realize
    it's an aging society and make adjustments with packaging. I have to look
    at most medication labels with a magnifying glass. What a pain for those with the "over 40 eyes" !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. Seems everything is geared for the younger crowd. We need to unite! ;0)

      Delete
  3. I'm with you...I've been switching out my cleaners for something less harsh and a little more user friendly. :)
    I also recycle used bottles from product. Do you only recycle 'cleaner' spray bottles...and NOT Pesticide bottles? (that is a concern for me) What do you do to make sure there are no residual product left in the containers?
    Also, I recently bought a 3 pack of spray bottles for 2 bucks at Dollar General. Nice and clean...
    enjoyed this post.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't use pesticides, so we don't have those types of bottles to reuse. I just wash them out with soap and water and it's never been a problem.
      I try to avoid the dollar stores, but glad you found a deal!

      Delete
  4. Oh that's a good tip! It is hard to tell which is the "off" side sometimes. It's on my list to try making my own cleaning products. I'll have to check out your recipes and give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe in the winter when things slow down in your garden? It's worth it.

      Delete
  5. Ha! love the comment about the sprayer being hard to read. :) Great tips - baking soda and vinegar really are the best things ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!