Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thrifty Thursday-Use Whatcha Got


Looking forward to seeing these Johnny Jump-ups 
blooming in an old coffee can.




These seeds were itchin' to make their way into the garden
and there wasn't a spare pot in sight.
I gotta make do with what I can find.
Eggshells work.




I poked a small hole in the bottom with a nail and a shovel.




Just big enough for drainage.




We get these lovely eggs from Colleen,
who raises her chickens humanely.



An old strawberry container makes do as support.







Titan sunflower seeds were sown in these.
This variety could get 12 feet tall!


Nasturtiums are not only pretty to look at,
they're edible.
Since I didn't buy organic seed, I will just enjoy their beauty.
They are also supposed to be beneficial in keeping away
white flies and pumpkin beetles as stated here..
Guess we'll plant some of these near our pumpkin vines.



The outer shell is quite tough,
so it gets nicked with a pair of scissors or pruners.



It helps with germination.



I read about making pots out of tp and paper towel rolls here.








I've never seen white marigolds before.
These also keep away unwanted pests.



Those went into an egg crate I found in someone's recycle bin.
I poked holes in the bottom for drainage.


We'll keep them moist and soon have lots of transplants 
to add to the garden.



There's no end to possibilities for planting containers.
Don't think you need fancy equipment to be a good gardener.



Mother Nature does the hard part.
Happy gardening, y'all! 

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the idea of using what you have on hand. The eggshells seem like they would work really well. I'll have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're especially good for plants that need extra calcium.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the thrifty ideas. I am going to try your suggestion to nick the nasturtium seeds when we start our flower seeds soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eggshell pots are cute! I like the coffee can too--it's got a kind of classic look to it. My mom used to grow plants in coffee cans.

    I really like your thrifty ideas. It's so silly all that we just throw away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many possibilities for reusing, we just need to rethink things. Enjoy your weekend, Leslie!

      Delete
  4. I like the coffee can planter. We also pretty much just use what we have. It's funny how most of time our project turns out just fine.

    Monday I noticed that one of my pineapples plants is producing! I'm super excited. Do you know about how long it takes for the pineapple to mature? Now I'm envisioning a whole pineapple grove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo-hoo! Congrats on your first pineapple. It takes a few weeks to get up to pickin' size. You'll notice it turn from a glossy orangish color to more brownish. Pick it before you think it's completely ripe and let it sit on the counter for a few days. When the bottom of the harvested pineapple smells sweet, give it a go!

      Delete
  5. I started using toilet paper rolls for planters years ago. With 5 girls in the house we have plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never thought to use TP rolls. Good idea! Thanks for sharing at Repurposed Ideas Weekly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!