Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thrifty Thursday-Earring Holder


I've been wanting to make one of these 
chicken wire earring holders for months now.
I don't have chickens yet, 
but maybe it's my way of gettin' closer to it.



 Here's what was used.
The frame was one of the half dozen we'd picked up from thrift stores
that were recently painted for projects.


 We had some chicken wire left over from a garden project,
and I knew I wanted to incorporate it into some artsy thing.
Any time I can add chicken wire to my daily life, I'm there.  
Just love the stuff.


 The width of the frame fit the wire perfectly, 
so there was just a tad bit of trimming to do 
using wire cutters around the edges.



 An electric staple gun was used to pin down the wire in back.



 One side was completed, then I pulled it a bit so that it was taut
before stapling the other side.  
Then it was trimmed out all the way around.



 The ends of the staples were pushed down
(this is where the gloves really come in handy).
Maybe others have a more finished method of doing it,
but this simple way worked for me.



 The frame could be used either horizontally or vertically.



 It hangs on the wall in our bedroom
with my earrings and pins on display.



 Have you ever felt like this?



This bee pin was given to me so long ago,
I don't even remember who gifted it.
I can't help but wonder how that person knew
that I'd want to raise bees so many years later.
Someday...

I'm so glad I finally got this craft done.
I'm happy with the way it turned out
and the simplicity of it really feels right.
Happy crafting, y'all!

12 comments:

  1. I love it! What a great idea. I'm fond of chicken wire too--it just has such a cool country look to it. . . . It must be great to have your earrings so organized now. Mine are always in a big pile and it's quite hard to find two that match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Leslie, it's like a piece of artwork. You know I love the organizational part of it!

      Delete
  2. It's so pretty - I've always loved those chicken wire earring holders, didn't really think about how easy they would be to make though - great job! decorative and functional :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! This is such a great idea. I love using chicken wire in my decor and it seems like it would work really well to hold your earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some folks have used them as message boards too, using clothespins to hold the notes on it. So many ideas!

      Delete
  4. Love it! I'd love to have you stop by and share your post on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to make one of these!
    Seriously... it is so easy, I have the parts (just found the extra chicken wire this morning). So...don't know why I haven't done it yet!
    Yours turned out cute!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'm gonna make one for my bestie!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!