Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thrifty Thursday-All Keyed Up


Earlier this month,
we repurposed a cabinet door from a kitchen project.



We turned it into a key corral.
I hadn't decided what I wanted in the blank white space.
Adding vintage to our home appealed to me,
and it needed to be a quick solution.
Decoupage seemed like the way to go.





Just a few materials were needed.



We always have butcher paper left over from packages we receive.
It was smoothed out just a bit.


Then the sides were creased...


and hand-torn.
We're going for a rustic look.


I laid the piece on the cabinet door to check for size.
Yup, that'll do.



 A vintage picture was found on a free online clipart source.
It was copied and printed out on computer paper.




 Then I checked to see if I liked the combination of rustic paper
and clean lines of the photograph.
Nope, it needed some tweaking.
(I'm not much for straight lines.)



 Using craft scissors,
the edges of the picture were trimmed.



Yeah, I like the contrast better this way.



The adhesive was placed on the butcher paper.
I left the wrinkles 'cause I liked it that way.
Gives it more character.
(At least, that's what I keep telling myself about wrinkles!)


Then the photo was glued onto the butcher paper.
Just eyeball it.
It's supposed to look handmade!


A few coats of adhesive over the whole thing
adds a sepia-type tone to it.
You could probably use the spray adhesive,
if that's what you have on hand.
  

Hope you have time to craft something useful soon!










Repurpose My Life
repurposed ideas weekly


2 comments:

  1. Nice one Daisy! Looks like a quick and easy solution with a big impact - prettiness and functionality all in one piece - love it! My crafting lately has just been some crochet bunting pennants for Little M's room & play kitchen, but I'm hoping to get in to the craft store in the big city over the weekend to get some more supplies for the next few months :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katy. I hope you find some fun things to work on! Looking forward to seeing Little M toiling in her kitchen! ;0)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!