Friday, February 15, 2013

It's Not Pesto, It's Pistou!

I'd gotten a beautiful bunch of basil 
from my friends, Faye & Lynn 
last week when our  produce order was picked up.
One of the more popular recipes for basil is pesto.
Pine nuts or walnuts can be used 
in creating this delectable spread.
Guess what?
I didn't have either in the house.
So, I made pistou instead!





Pistou is a French version of pesto.
It's made with basil, olive oil, garlic, 
lemon juice and Parmesan.
No nuts necessary!



Since finding out that Parmesan contains no lactose,
I've been enjoying it on a lot of different dishes.
When it's on sale, I buy the block,
then I get to use one of my favorite (and few) gadgets, 
the zester.



This luscious concoction is great tossed with pasta,
rice or smeared on bread.
It adds another layer of flavor to dishes. 
You'll be nuts about it!

The original recipe was obtained here.

Pistou
3 cups fresh basil leaves
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Splash of fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil 
Salt and pepper to taste



1. In a food processor, mince garlic.

2. Add in basil and cheese and blend. 
Slowly drizzle in olive oil 
while the machine is running. 
Blend until smooth.

3. Squeeze in lemon juice 
and add salt and pepper to taste. 
 Enjoy!







The Chicken Chick


Simple Saturdays Blog Hop





4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of pistou. How neat! I'll have to try it this summer when I have fresh basil in my garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed to have basil at this time of the year. Hope you will enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Wow Daisy! Thanks so much for this informative (and delicious sounding-nom nom nom) post. I never heard of pistou and never knew that parmesan didn't contain lactose! My hubby and I will definitely be trying this wonderful recipe in the near future--we've gotten some of our best recipes from you! Thank you friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind. So glad you have found value here. Enjoy your weekend, Kat!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!