Thursday, January 3, 2013

Got Moss?

One of the things we noticed about Central Florida
is how the moss drapes over every tree in the landscape.
Our weeping elm is no exception.





Spanish moss doesn't damage trees, as some think.
It may become too heavy and shade leaves, slowing growth.
Our tree hasn't been affected this way
and seems to be healthy and growing.





Moss is used by birds in nest-building,
so I left some for them.
It could also be used as mulch.
The rest that I gathered was used to fill in a pot
with a pencil cactus 
that I recently shared with a friend.
We try to repurpose, even in the garden.



4 comments:

  1. I love moss! Moss covered trees look so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish I had moss! Thanks for sharing at Repurposed Ideas Weekly. I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could send you some! We've got plenty around here!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!