Thursday, September 15, 2011

Caterpillar Relocation Program

I've been trying to tackle small jobs in the garden each day. 
With temps still getting into the 90's,
it's "get out early or forget it"!



The grapevine covering this trellis
by the rain barrel was taking over.
I would like to have a place for it to grow properly,
but for now, I don't.
It had to come out before it occupied the whole corner.



Little did I know what was hiding underneath.



I found these two lil' guys.
What to do?
I wasn't sure exactly which plant they had been feeding on,
as there are no milkweed plants in that area.
I felt sooooooo bad!




They were gingerly moved to one of our milkweed plants.
They appear to be monarchs.
I know we've had a lot more butterfiles
and cats this season, probably due to the addition
of the milkweed plants in the garden.



They both found a spot right away,
so I'm hoping that's a good sign.
I will keep checking on them to see if they're eating.



That's a bit tamer.
On to the next lil' project.

Hope your garden is full of wonder for you today.

Backyard Farming Connection

7 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to have noticed them.
    Glad you let some milkweed grow. I always put a patch in the garden. It's great for the wildlife (and even keeps some of the bad bugs occupied and away from my stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy, your garden is so beautiful! The fact that you take the time to notice life's little, beautiful moments makes me smile--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How kind of you to safely move and find a suitable habitat for your all your creatures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you moved them so they could be safe! Looking at their size, they might be big enough to pupate so they might have been heading somewhere to hang - so if they disappear off the milkweeds, you are likely safe to assume that they left for that reason, not that they didn't like the milkweeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue-Yeah, I'm hooked on the milkweed.

    Kat-Thanks for your kind words.

    Jane-Well, I won't be pickin' up and movin' any snakes! ;0)

    Katy-Good to know since I checked on them and they were gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I come to your blog, I envy your garden! I can't wait to have a house and be able to have one of my own. My kids have been mesmerized by caterpillars and other creatures this summer, and these ones are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Stephanie! It is a blessing to have a lil' patch of dirt. Your kids will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!