Monday, May 16, 2011

Sunny Days

Every year we plant sunflowers.

This year we've tried some new varieties.


This is one of my favorites.
The muted colors scream "vintage" to me.




This one seems to be waving!




Sometimes you catch the light just right...




This is the first striped sunflower I've grown.
Just beautiful!




These are a cluster-type.
They get about 5 to 6 feet tall, 
and have multiple blooms on each slender stalk.



Several not-yet-ready buds await
just the right time to reveal their beauty and charm.




This reminds me of a pin cushion!




Bees love these sweet things!




Another variety with an orange hue.




The contrast between the petals
and the seed-filled center is dramatic.




They just dare you not to smile!















The rains over the last few days have really
sent these spiraling toward the sun.






Wouldya look at the size of those leaves?
Amazing!



Well over 6 feet and still growing...




Several more enclaves of stalks
are springing up in the yard.




Sunflowers are one of the easiest flowers to grow.
They are a great introduction for kids who are interested
in learning more about nature.

This is the perfect time to plant seeds if you haven't yet.
These gorgeous care-free wonders
will continue to bloom all summer long.
It makes the heat of the long season a bit easier to take.






God provides so much beauty around us,
it's up to us to make sure we see it!

16 comments:

  1. I do love sunflowers...they are such happy flowers. Everytime I've tried to grow them the squirrels bite the tops of the small plants off. They are growing in my daughter's school's garden...came up by themselves from the feeder...and I enjoy looking at them.

    You've got a nice variety...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. Yes, they add a cheery note to the garden, even on a cloudy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sunflowers. They are such a happy flower! Nothing like a whole field of sunflowers. Amazing! Happy Sunlit Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the perfect pick me up! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I love the varieties available today with colours of bronze and red. We have fields of plain yellow sunflowers grown in our farming community for bird seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds don't care about the color! They are all beautiful!

      Delete
  5. It is such a treat to see sunflower photos on a snowy day. I've not seen ones with the wonderful reddish colour or the striped variety; they are striking looking! Even the back of the blooms is beautiful.

    Thanks for bringing your sunny sunflower photos to "Sunlit Sunday"; I'm so glad you participated this week.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure to share some of our sunshine!

      Delete
  6. I'm popping over to visit after linking with Karen's Sunlit Sunday.

    Great photos of wonderfully sunny flowers,
    they are beautiful and have brightened my day.


    Have a good week

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunflowers are such a happy flower! Your's look beautiful! I should plant some this year! Very cheerful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must try to grow some sunflowers this year after the snow melts away and the ground thaws.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sunflowers - they are so cheery. Your photos brighten a very grey west-coast of North America day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!