Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Dirty Lil' Secret

Mondays are one of my busiest days.
It's the designated day to clean bathrooms
and all the tile in the house.
Certain household tasks are assigned
certain days of the week.
It's just easier for me to remember that way.

With a focus on preparing our house
for the next person blessed enough to live here,
I am slowly working on cleaning, refreshing
and staging elements to bring wider appeal.
I know that one of the most important things
to perspective buyers is a clean house.






This ain't gonna cut it.
I've let it go too long and even though
the floors get mopped every week,
the grout in this light-colored tile
shows every speck of dirt.



Wow, it really got bad.
The responsibility lies mostly with me, 
as I rarely wear shoes
and bring in all kinds of dirt from outside.



Rather than pay someone to come in and clean the tile
with obnoxious harsh chemicals, I decided to try
an old favorite.  Vinegar and elbow grease.

I'm not one to advertise, but I've been using
Bon Ami for years.  My mom used it.
It's one of the few commercial products I buy,
as I make household cleansers
from baking soda, vinegar, and lemon juice.
Aside from being better for the environment,
my lil' guy is super sensitive to all kinds of things.
Using natural products just makes sense.
I always add some essential oil for a fresh, clean scent.
Spearmint is especially invigorating.


This is what happens from a sprinkling of limestone powder
and a bit of vinegar scrubbed with a toothbrush.
No, I'm not in the military, but it's the only thing
that can really get in there and do the job.


I think it'll be much easier to keep up now.
Pristine?  Far from it.
But it looks like it might be good enough
to get this house sold someday soon.
Mom would definitely approve.
Onto the hallway and laundryroom!

5 comments:

  1. I have horrible old linoleum tiles in the kitchen that are coming up. I do not think anything would clean them. I want a new floor but that gets put way down on the budget list. I really like your tile floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW! I am sold! it looks pristine Daisy! I bet your elbows are sore!
    Is Bon Ami limestone powder? I am getting me some that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, you just reminded me that my floors are in desperate need of a thorough cleaning...and so are the windows, too. I haven't done much spring cleaning...been too busy in the garden. BUT...thanks for the cleaning supplies tip. I'm not sure about the toothbrush though...I wonder if a good scrub brush on a long handle will do the job.

    I know you want to sell your house and leave Florida, so I hope your dream comes true soon...and I shall follow your blog wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really impressive, Daisy! I'll need to keep this in mind for my own floors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane-Thanks. I've heard that there are new linoleum floors that are much better than what used to be available. It might be an easy and inexpensive solution just to change it out.

    Lisa-Nope, not sore at all. When I saw the difference in the tiles, I just kept going. I buy it at my regular grocery store.

    Susan-Aw, thanks. You know what? The house will still be there when you're ready for your spring cleaning! ;0)

    tami-Happy scrubbing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!