Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Goin' Underground...

My profile says it all. 
I'm trapped in suburbia. 
An HOA-restrictive community, specifically. 
The main lesson we've learned
since moving here is that
it's not for us...
I long for property
where I can do what I want without
asking "permission" from any Board.



Growing things organically, especially veggies,
is something that I feel strongly about.
We've already had several citations
regarding things around our property
relating to our landscaping.  Using rain barrels,
the unwillingness to spray pesticides to
control weeds or feed our lawn, and
reducing the size of the turf area
are all issues we've had to defend
here on our humble 1/4 acre of land.

Clouding my thoughts and vision with those
who don't agree or appreciate what I'm trying to do
is not the way I choose to spend my time or energy.
Until we are able to sell our house and move,
I'm trying to work within the rules of
the community.  It ain't easy...


One dilemma that I've
been pondering for a while now is how to keep a
compost pile without offending any of
my less open-minded neighbors.
I've come up with something.
It's not ideal, but it'll do for now.


A gardener's gotta do what a gardener's gotta do.

=


I dug out a hole in one of the back beds.




I placed a leftover plastic pot (a not-too-pretty one)
in the hole.

 I filled it with about a week's worth of food scraps,
newspaper and a little dirt.


I covered it with pine straw mulch. 

Unless you're looking for it, it's not easy to find.
At first I thought about just adding the pots 
to the garden bed, but I thought they might look funny 
with nothing ever growing out of them.  I haven't figured it all out yet, 
but I'm just trying to make do with what I can.  
It really bothers me to throw out scraps 
that I know can feed the earth.  

Part of
becoming more self-sustaining is taking care of the soil.
I know how valuable compost is and I feel the need to
make an attempt at making our own.
An added bonus is that we cut down our bags
of trash per week from 3 to 2 or maybe even one!

Life is about balance.  The beginning of that balance
is staying true to what you believe.  It's not always
been easy to do here in suburbia.  But until
we can move on to "greener" pastures, we make do.
One thing I know for sure is...

~Going against the grain has made me one strong chick.~




4 comments:

  1. I hope you sell your home real soon and get to make that move. I cant believe living in harmony with the earth is something that you should be cited for. What is this world coming to? It is a shame you have to hide a compost pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that, sister! Thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Grief it sounds like a nightmare. I'll never understand the thought that everything I need to do should be evaluated by someone to see if it's acceptable. Good luck selling Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tami-Yeah, it's not fun.
    But I'm sure there are lessons to be learned in this challenging situation. Thanks for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!