Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Stop, Look and Listen

This birdbath is a big part of the reason I started the garden. I got it from a lady
on Craig's List who has since moved to the California desert to live off the grid.
It's solid concrete and I paid $10 for it. She even threw in some gizmo that
moves the water around. When I look out in the yard and see birds enjoying the water, it just makes me stop and make sure that I am here, in this moment. 

It's a wonderful way to start the day, hearing birds singing near your window. I never tire of hearing their beautiful lilting voices carried through the air. I am thinking of planting one of the two crape myrtles behind it, so as to make it easier for our avian friends to take a drink and wash up before supper. It would be wonderful too, to have more plants that can feed these critters, as birdseed prices make supporting them that way presently impossible. I think I'll look for a bird identification book on bookswap, so that we can enjoy our nature watch and learn a thing or two. I suspect we'll see more birds soon, with the approaching cooler temperatures further north. 
God has created so much for our eyes to behold, our ears to appreciate.
If only we remember to stop, look and listen.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful reminder to slow down and enjoy my surroundings. The beautiful weather we've been having is definitely helping me to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daisy,
    Oh, I do love to sit on my back porch and watch the birds and hear their lovely tunes. Your birdies would definitely appreciate some cover nearby. Good thinking on adding more natural foods for them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing quite as relaxing as enjoying nature. It just makes me feel so close to God. I will be installing the crape myrtles this weekend, I think. The birds should like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!