Sunday, September 19, 2010

Making the Garden My Own

Well, imagine my surprise, when I was just minding my business checking on things in the garden, and who should I come upon but this lil' guy? What a wonderful discovery!


My neighbor found him somewhere in her travels this weekend, and decided he needed a garden to watch over. We're happy to provide just such a place. We haven't come up with a name for the little cherub yet, but it'll show itself to us in due time.

We were thinking of starting a neighborhood game of "The Visiting Gnome". We would choose a neighbor we know, place him in their garden with a note that gives clues as to where his home is and see if they could figure it out and return him when he's done visiting with them. Doesn't that sound like fun? I love writing limmericks, so I could customize it for each household he visits. I'll keep you posted...


 




I've been acquiring a few things either handed down or bought at the thrift store to use for planters. This old wicker laundry basket was in our house for the longest time. It is planted with an array of seeds that I hope will give lots of color to the garden.













I found this old roasting pan at the thrift store one day and thought that it would give me lots of room to plant in. I wonder if bulbs would work in it? I might have to cut out the bottom, instead of keeping just the drainage holes I have in there now.  The lid is even deep enough that I might be able to use it separately and just nestle it into the mulch.











This is a black spatterware pot I found that contains a colander-type insert. I'm using flower seeds in it and I would like to place it by the front pathway. I'm hoping that I don't get any guff by the HOA for having unusual planters. They seem to be bothered by things like that. I just love reusing things and creating surprises in the garden.


2 comments:

  1. I like it when old items are "repurposed" for a new life. I look forward to seeing future posts with your new-found items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. I'm a major "repurposer". I love thinking of new ways to use things. I'll take a picture when the seeds start showing themselves.
    Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!